Benissanet - Ebro Lands

Adult PricePrice Child
Benissanet - Ebro Lands

The connection of the name is Arabic Benissanet. It seems that the origin of the town was a Muslim farmhouse, sits on top of Roman ruins. The repopulation of the territory was entrusted to the Knights Templar, who settled in the castle Miravet. With the extinction of the Templars to the Hospitallers became founders of the Fortress of Amposta.

During the war against John II, the population had no role. but that seriously affects the expulsion of the Moors, in 1610, decreed by Philip III. Those expelled were Benissanet 432, which occupied 90 houses. If this is true, the hearth of the 1568 fires and 81 Benissanet assigned to a priest. It should be mentioned that this was only old Christian, and that the people, after the expulsion, only for himself.

The population was left battered and impoverished after the Revolt and Succession. In 1719, the town was reduced to 199 inhabitants. After this fall, Benissanet, like all peoples essentially agricultural recorded considerable economic recovery and, therefore, demographic. In a hundred years went from 199 inhabitants in 1118. This strong momentum continued in spite of the Carlist Wars, where there were soldiers and victims of the one and the other.

During the Civil War of 1936-1939, the population was severely punished. It produced many victims, demolition of buildings by bombs. The highlight is the church, which goes back to a century altarpiece. XVII.

From the beginning to the end of the conflagration, Benissanet went from 1900 to 1613 inhabitants. The current census is 1,028 people.

Festivals and customs

Celebrate Festival on January 17, feast of St. Anthony, Winter Festival and 25th July, St. James Summer Festival.

The Rosary of the Virgin of the Pillar, which dates from 1850, is sung and accompanied by the Band Local.


Architecturally and artistically Benissanet is a poor town, as the most remarkable buildings were completely destroyed during the last war. It is interesting to visit the church, the cross, the chapel of Pilar and the refuge of Big Fountain. This shelter was built by the women of the town with the help of Republican soldiers, this shelter is open to the public from April 17, 2009.

Text taken from the website

Benissanet - Ebro Lands

COVID-19 Alert

Given the current situation, the excursions will be carried out with your private vehicle whenever possible, following the guide's vehicle. During the stops to make explanations it will be essential to use masks and keep a safe distance.
The organization will make available to its customers, hydroalcoholic gel and masks if they do not have their own.
Due to restrictions and mobility, activities may be canceled.

Share on

Facebook Twitter Google MySpace

Follow us